When I was growing up my mom had a handwritten recipe book of all the recipes she had discovered and modified over the years. She referenced it regularly, and I have many memories of my brother and I making chocolate cake using that recipe book. After my brother and I grew up and left the house my mother decided to type up all the recipes and create a printed copy for each of us.
A few years back my husband suggested that we make each recipe so we can photograph them and remake the book with photographs of each dish.
This is the first recipe out of the book, super simple with only 3 ingredients.
For the cheese, I choose a sharp cheddar (what I had in the fridge) and a little gouda because I didn’t have a full 150 grams of cheddar.
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 package of bacon
150 g (a little over 5 ounces) grated cheese
1. Thaw pastry according to package directions and unroll on a floured surface.
2. Lay bacon strips across the unrolled pastry and cover with the grated cheese.
3. Roll the pastry and wrap in plastic or wax paper and freeze for at least two hours.
4. Remove roll from freezer and slice into 3/16 inch slices.
5. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan (I used a Silpat non-stick baking mat) in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes a side until browned.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can use Marmite instead of the bacon, the marmite roll does not need to be frozen.